Internet Relay Chat (IRC) is a chat system developed by Jarkko Oikarinen in Finland in the late 1980s. IRC has become very popular as more people get connected to the Internet because it enables people connected anywhere on the Internet to join in live discussions. To join an IRC discussion, you need an IRC client ( mIRC is the client we use ) and Internet access. The IRC client is a program that runs on your computer and sends and receives messages to and from an IRC server. The IRC server, in turn, is responsible for making sure that all messages are broadcast to everyone participating in a discussion.
There can be many discussions going on at once; each one is assigned a unique channel (or "chat room"). There are hundreds of IRC channels around the world, hosted on servers, on which people type their messages to others on the same channel interested in the same subject.
So now that you have a general idea of what IRC is and get the jist of how it works, you'll need to download the mIRC Chat Client (link above) to visit an IRC server. To visit the mIRC SETI Team's Internet Relay Chat channel, continue reading below, where you can find out how as well as other information you'll need to know once you arrive (including our channel's rules).
Finding us on IRC
If you're interested in visiting our chat channel there are a few simple steps you will need to take. We will get you a brief overview of the process here with the following list:
- You will need to download a free copy of mIRC.
- After the download and install of mIRC, your will be prompted to enter a Nickname, e-mail address, and a first name.
- Click "OK" and a status window will appear. In the text box of the status window, type in the following: /server irc.esper.net
- Once connected to EsperNet, type the following in the status window text box: /join #SETI@home
#SETI@home Channel Rules
As with any place you visit in life either physically or virtually, there are rules that everyone needs to be aware of to keep everyone safe and the overall atmosphere insaid place as peaceful and happy for all. The following rules apply to our chat channel #SETI@home only; other channels will have their own rules to varying degrees. It is our goal for our channel to create a fun, lively, friendly, and safe community for everyone of all ages to enjoy.
Please note: the following rules may be changed at any time without notice; it is the responsibility of you the chatter to review this list of rules frequently. Failure to follow these rules may result in the offender being removed from #SETI@home temporarily or, if needed, permenantly.
- Vulgarity / hate speech / sexually explicit talk are all strictly prohibited.
- No harassment, threats, name calling or otherwise negative remarks towards others.
- Do not annoy others, and do not be too easily annoyed.
- Be patient. Sometimes no one will see questions you ask or that you have joined for general chat for quite a while if they are away from the computer or busy elsewhere. (Since our computers are generally running 24/7, we will keep mIRC open all the time). Just ask your question(s) and hang out in the channel until you see some activity or find someone willing to assist/chat with you.